Macon, GA – The amazing park features a concrete plaza area, benches, trash cans, sidewalks, picnic tables, landscaping, irrigation, and more. The area was a previous site of blighted structures.
“We have the ability to help turnaround neighborhoods by taking blighted structures and creating something the entire area can enjoy, not be concerned about,” says Macon-Bibb County Mayor Robert Reichert. “Where before we had eyesores that depress neighborhoods and can lead to crime, people now have a place where they can enjoy each other’s company, hold events, and more.”
The park is between Telfair Street, Elm Street, and the railroad.
$182,000 from the District 2 Blight Remediation Program funds were used to purchase the property and demolish the blighted structures, and $184,000 in voter-approved Special Purpose Local Option Sales Tax (SPLOST) funds were used to design and build the amenities. It was designed by W.T. Designs and built by WLS Construction.
The park has been named for Reverend Jacob Parker who was born in Macon in 1929 and graduated from the Bibb County School District’s Hudson High School. He began pastoring and witnessing to inmates in prisons and youth detention centers, hospitals, and nursing homes before heeding the call to ministry in 1966. He preached his initial sermon and was ordained by the late Reverend B. Johnson in 1966, and within six months, he was called as Pastor of Ebenezer Missionary Baptist Church in March 1967.
In 2016, Macon-Bibb County joined Ebenezer Missionary Baptist Church in recognizing Reverend Parker’s legacy by designating a portion of Elm Street as “Reverend Jacob Parker Memorial Way.”